Thursday, November 20, 2008

Time to cut up the deer

I made 15 pounds of jerky, which I think turned into 3 - maybe. No wonder why Jerky cost so much. Jerky is something I usually make when we have venison available to us. I usually don't use the smoker when I make jerky - I prefer using the food dehydrator as the meat is already so seasoned it doesn't need the extra smoke flavor.






I also made 10 pounds of summer sausage, this is about a 3 day process, but well worth the effort. These I smoked in the smoker then finished off in the oven to make sure the temperature was up where it needed to be.








Then I made about 35 pounds of breakfast sausage, this was a new experience for me, I mixed the ground up meat with bacon, sage and ginger. We had some the other night and it was pretty good. Good thing since I have 35 pounds of it.

No comments: