Sunday, June 15, 2008

Day 2 to Hazelton











Day 2:

Got a late start as we all slept in, we were on the road by 9:00 We had breakfast burritos “hot” breakfast burritos made from left overs with a few eggs thrown in, I think the eggs helped absorb some of the spiciness from the jalapenos. Still going North on 97; towns we have driven through Williams Lake, Quesnel & Prince George, we had to make a stop in Prince George to buy another batter as our camper battery is not recharging it self like it should be while we are driving, a problem we have had in the past that we thought was resolved. We are just worried about the battery going dead on the Ferry and the food in the fridge and freezer going bad. In Prince George we turned off on Highway 16 now heading west through Vanderhoof, Fort Fraser, Endako, Burns Lake, Decker Lake, Topley, Houston (Yes, Houston BC) and Smithers. In Smithers we stopped for some groceries and ice at a Safeway store. I went to grab a cart and they were all linked together with locks that you had to deposit a quarter in to use – I had no change on me let alone Canadian change, I thought that was pretty crazy. Luckily I had Aaron with me and made him carry the groceries, we mainly just need some fresh vegetables as that is one thing you can not bring into Canada when traveling. I bought tomatoes from the USA, which I found rather humorous as it was just the other day at Family Foods that I had bought tomatoes and they were from Canada, What is up with that? It not a good day for viewing any wild life – We saw a few American Geese, that was about it. It is very mountainous and lots and lots of rivers. We stopped in a pullover spot along the Buckley just before getting to our destination and watched a guy spear fish for a while, he had not luck while we were watching, it would have been pretty neat to see him pull a fish out with that spear. We drove until 7:00pm until we could no longer stand being in the truck any longer, we were hoping to get a little further so we would have less of a drive the next day but Aaron said we were all getting “Truck Fever” and had to get out, total miles drive today 460. We camped along Seeley Lake in a small quiet campground. I made chicken stew for dinner then we went for a kayak ride around lake. And alas, wild life, there I was minding my own business, trying to get a snap shot of Matt and the boys kayaking, and out of no where up pops a beaver about 4 feet from my Kayak, man was that a surprise! I couldn’t help but let out a scream, he slapped his tail at me giving me a good splash. That was enough kayaking for me.

No comments: